Monthly Archives: April 2016
From Wolff Olins:
Calling all design students & recent grads in San Francisco! We’re holding a portfolio ‘Show & Tell’ on Wednesday, May 11th in the Bay Area. A limited number of students will be selected to meet with members of our west coast team. To be considered for a spot please send your portfolio by Wednesday, May 4th to: showtellSF@wolffolins.com.
Our friends at barrettSF sent over a great opportunity for a recent alumni:
We’re currently looking for a Graphic Designer to join our growing staff at barrettSF.
We feel that you should have 1-3 years of experience, and are really starting to develop your sensibilities. You’re also becoming more efficient at your craft.
Here are some must-have’s for this role:
- First and foremost, an impeccable eye for design. And how great work is supposed to look.
- You love variety, and juggling multiple projects if need be.
- Mastered ability of all the programs
- A great team player. The agency’s success is dependent on a team of people, not just one person.
- You understand asset management and can lend some ideas to server structure.
- You enjoy presenting, and look forward to developing and owning client relationships.
- Your someone that brings in a can-do attitude.
- You look forward to working with our entire staff, especially your fellow creatives.
Here are some really nice to have’s:
- A passion for something outside of advertising, be it work, art, culture, music, food, sports, animals, German beer making, etc..
- A pleasant demeanor.
- A skill set beyond just the required programs – i.e. after effects, cinema 4D or one of the editing programs…not required, but it would be really nice.
Things we aren’t that concerned about:
- Where you went to school, your designer jeans, or how much you can crush it at your bootcamp class.
That’s all great, but what are we offering you?
- The chance to be the lead designer at barrettSF and help develop the role and discipline with us.
- The chance to bring your sensibilities to many of our clients, as well as anything design related that we might do internally.
- The ability to work with a team and agency that is growing very fast and rewards on merit not tenure.
- You’ll be sitting amongst our creative department, and receiving mentorship and guidance from Creative Directors.
- Have a dog? Bring him/her to work.
- Don’t like lame limited vacation days? We have unlimited PTO!
- Don’t like spending money out at the bars? We have beer and wine on tap! We also have Coke Zero if you’re into that.
Overall, we’re excited about what we have here, and think that you should be too. We work late, but only when we have to (which we promise isn’t that often). We hang out together outside of work, which should say a lot about how much we like each other, and while we are a young agency, we’re starting to get recognized for the work that we do and we’re driven to achieve more.
If this sounds exciting, and even a bit scary, then good!
Send your work to firstname.lastname@example.org
Not graduated yet? Come hear Rafi Kugler from barrettSF speak next Wednesday about finding a job. Watch the blog for more details soon!
Graduating students: come meet and interview with top industry reps May 23rd at the annual Spring Show Portfolio Review. Many jobs get their start at this event!
If you are eligible, you should have received an email with the subject line “ADV invites you: Student-Industry Portfolio Review at Spring Show”. Please follow the instructions in the email to sign up, even if you are unable to attend in person (we’ll make your portfolio URL available to industry). This email ended up in many spam folders, so we are extending the deadline. In order to be let in to the event it is REQUIRED to RSVP.
If you did not receive the email you may not be eligible yet and may become eligible for future events. Please email email@example.com if you are graduating this semester and did not receive an invite.
Best Commercial Nominees
- PlayStation – Ge Jia and Bart Nie
- Hint – Jenaid Jenaid, Eric Bui, and Brittany Ulmer
- I Am A Woman – Siu Yin Wong, Hernan Bogado, Kunkanda Phukchampa, and Kevin Miller
- Submerse Yourself – Cullen Newsome, Lauren MacNeil, Panupong Leelasawat, and Wen Shi
Best Branded Content Nominees
- Cowboy Poetry Gathering – Joey Larson and Chico Chen
- Strangest of Strangers – Ivana Kovacevic
- High West Magazine – Visarnpong Chateakcharoen
- The Thing in the Closet – Lauren MacNeil and Terrell Butler
Thanks to everyone who submitted their work for Spring Show. There was a lot of great work, the judges had a lot of tough choices to make. Mark your calendar for Spring Show opening night on Monday, May 23rd. It’s going to be a great show!
We’d like to congratulate all our semi-finalists. Semi-finalists should have received an email with details about preparing their files for inclusion in the show. For team projects, only the team member who first submitted the project was notified.
If your name is listed below, congratulations! Please check your email for details (and be sure to let your team know, as well).
- Saud Alanzi
- Sam An
- Alex Basa
- Orlando Hernan Bogado
- Visarnpong Chateakcharoen
- Selena Davant
- Eddie Fragoso
- Wa Gao
- Eric Frankman
- Jane Goodwin-Bell
- Louise Hessel Holmen
- Jenaid Jenaid
- Bryan Jhung
- Ge Jia
- Ei Kakiuchi
- Donghee Kim
- Seungwoo Kim
- Joey Larson
- Xavier Ming Li
- John Francis Murillo
- Cullen Newsome
- Seondoo Park
- Suthasa Prayoonhong
- Daisy Serafini
- Fredrik Sjöblom
- Rochelle Maryann Stephens
- Alexander Tombach
- Jenny Truong
- Sarah Turner
- Josephine Heintz Waktare
- Tracy Tzu-yun Wang
- Siu Yin Wong
- Fay Xiong
As an Academy of Art ADV student, you’re invited to get in on the ground floor of a new global competition. ALT+X is an annual challenge that connects the creative minds who will change the world, with technology that will do the same, under the supervision of a world-class jury. Representatives include people from Google, Facebook…
We have extended the Spring Show Entry deadline to tomorrow, Tuesday, April 19 at 11:59PM. We invite all ADV students to submit—Online, On Campus, BFA, AA, or MFA. It is an honor to have your work chosen and showcased at Spring Show!
To submit work, go to: http://tinyurl.com/adv2016springshow
The Web Design + New Media Department has invited us to join them for the Innovation Club Thursday evening, for a demo and chat with members of Google’s VR team. More info on the club’s Facebook page.